Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Evil Dead



essentially the original, yet it's own film.
When I first heard that Evil Dead was being remade, I wasn't happy. I've grown tired of reboots and remakes and I felt that remaking Evil Dead was akin to trampling on sacred ground. After discovering that Raimi and Campbell were backing it, I gave in and joined the the party, my uptight "Dead purist" friends be damned. This version starts out with the same creepy cabin in the same creepy woods but with a new group of twenty somethings unwittingly walking into the slaughter. A new element is introduced when we find out that the gang is trying to help their friend Mia recover from a nasty heroin addiction. Making the trip is her estranged brother David who wasn't around when Mia had to deal with their mother's death. Needless to say, there are a lot of family issues that the two never hashed out and hard feelings are being felt.

If being drug out to a creepy cabin in the woods by her friends wasn't bad enough, things are going to get worse for Mia. Ignoring all blatant...

Where the hell is the unrated cut??
I am not happy. Great remake, but I was expecting an Unrated cut for blu-ray. If the studio thinks they are double-dipping off me, think again. I'm waiting on the Hobbit (extended cuts already confirmed) and I'm waiting on this too. Stop being so damn greedy Hollywood!

AN OVERWHELMING CRESCENDO OF FEAR, TERROR AND HORROR
I admit I was somewhat skeptical in sitting down to watch this film because of the various unfavorable reviews I had read. Well - fuhgeddaboudem! This is NOT a remake of the original movie from 30+ years ago - this is an ultra-modern version of the basic theme of that film, and it succeeds superbly. It's very rare that a horror movie carries me from the first scene to the last with such a powerful, relentless and unstoppable feeling of accelerating dread and doom. ("The Exorcist" is the benchmark for me in this regard.) But this film did it for me, and because of so many factors, not least of which is the musical score - a brilliant synthesis of different styles and techniques that it can virtually stand alone as an hommage to the horror genre. The cast is uniformly excellent, the cinematography is astounding, the production values are first-rate and the director obviously had a clear vision of what he wanted to achieve - namely, to scare the living crap out of us - and he does...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment